Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thanksgiving Meal vs. Technology Help for Students


As I try to plan out Thanksgiving, without a day off to prepare I begin to think of all that is going on at Arlington and how to increase student involvement with technology in the classroom. How do the two connect? One is easier than the other and I prefer thinking of Arlington's students over preparing a meal.
I was working with a social studies student teacher in a computer lab. Most of the students were 9th graders and it was a very sad situation. The students were like newborns and they were very unsure of themselves. In their nervousness at appearing stupid, their behavior began to go down hill. With quiet one on one assistance after modeling the search process, they settled in and began working in a calmer manner. Therefore, if all students were given this assistance as they began the research process, they would achieve success and confidence. As I work with more and more teachers the word will get out that I'm a team player and I'm there to assist. Hopefully, we'll reach each and every student before the end of the year.

3 comments:

Linda said...

It sounds like you're approaching your kids & tasks in just the right manner. You HAVE to show me how you do your pictures on your blog. They are so beautiful. Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed by your insights--keep up the good--and very hard--work.

Leslie said...

I, also, would like to have you show the group how to do the pictures on your blog. They are so individualistic and representational of YOU!
Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.
Leslie E.